The Nigerian fried rice is a very colorful meal garnished with freshly chopped vegetables.
It is the second most popular rice recipe in Nigeria after the most sought-after Jollof rice and it is a mainstay at any public function where chow is available.
The Nigerian fried rice recipe gives you the freedom to try out a combination of vegetables, it’s very healthy yet very spicy.
There are some dos and don’ts for a perfect fried rice, here they are:
1) Season your boiled rice base or use broth; water doesn’t work
2) Don’t overcook your rice. This is the first step to a disastrous fried rice. If the rice is overcooked and mushy, you will have to remake the rice.
3) Season your vegetables while they are chopped and resting, it helps the overall flavor of the fried rice.
4) It’s okay to have your rice a little on the yellow/green side, however, you don’t want an overpowering curry taste. Use turmeric for color and curry for flavor
Follow these recommendations and you will hit the bull’s eye everytime you prepare fried rice.
THE BEST NIGERIAN FRIED RICE RECIPE
You may add more protein to your fried rice. Shrimp, minced meat and chicken are great options. Thoroughly cook the meat and combine with prepared vegetables before adding in the rice.
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Seasoning to taste
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bulb onion chopped
- 3 cups mixed vegetables (bell pepper,carrot, peas, cabbage & sweetcorn)
- 3 cups 2 cups rice (washed) (Parboiled or Basmati)
Season chopped vegetables with some salt, maggi and pepper. Set aside
Place a large pot (with a good fitting lid) on medium heat. Heat up one part of oil and add in onion rosemary and bay leaves. Stir-fry until onion is fragrant and translucent. Add in 1 part each of curry, thyme, 1 cube maggi and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir.Add in 4 cups water (3 cups if using basmati rice). Cover the pot, increase heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the heat on the broth to low-medium add in the rice and stir. Cover the pot tightly. leave the rice to cook for 25 minutes (or 15 minutes if using basmati rice). Uncover the pot and spread the rice on a flat plate to cool
Place another large pot on medium heat, add in the left over oil and heat slightly. Add mixed vegetables and left over seasoning. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes
Mix the precooked rice and vegetables. Stir well to combine.Taste and adjust for seasoning as needed
Your rice is ready to serve. Enjoy with some fried plantain and stewed meat or chicken